The City parks system in Waterloo has a rich history of providing high-quality, creative, and well-maintained public spaces for residents and visitors to enjoy. Waterloo’s Leisure Services Commission is excited to announce a campaign to transform Waterloo’s two major parks – Gates Park and Byrnes Park. Each plan was thoughtfully designed with input from the community and includes a multi-faceted renovation of Gates Park and a new outdoor aquatic center at Byrnes Park.
Make a Splash is your opportunity to support the upcoming transformations of Gates & Byrnes Parks! Building on the legacies of these beloved facilities, this project will provide beautiful spaces to gather, play and make great memories.
Community members, past and present, are invited to be part of this project by contributing to the Make a Splash: Transforming Gates & Byrnes Parks Fund. Gifts of all sizes are welcome. Your generous gift will positively impact generations of Waterloo residents for years to come!
Contributions to the Fund can be made:
- ONLINE: click ‘MAKE A DONATION’ button below
- CHECK: make checks payable to “Waterloo Community Foundation” with “Gates & Byrnes Fund” or “Make a Splash” in the memo line. Checks can be mailed to Waterloo Community Foundation, PO Box 1253, Waterloo, IA 50704.
Gates Park Pool | 1981 – Present
Byrnes Park Pool | 1981 – Present
GATES PARK TRANSFORMATION
NORTH END IMPROVEMENTS – GATES POOL SITE:
- Lit Basketball Courts
- Multi-purpose paved rink surrounding basketball courts
- Performance Area
- Inclusive Playground: a play space that exceeds minimum accessibility to create play experiences in which children and adults of all abilities can interact and recreate.
- Spray Park
PRAIRIE GARDEN & SOCCER FIELD:
- Multipurpose Soccer Field
- Prairie garden featuring mowed paths for walking and exploration
SOUTH END IMPROVEMENTS – LESTER STREET:
- Half Basketball Court
- Flood wall transformation including new signage
BYRNES PARK AQUATIC CENTER
NEW AQUATIC FACILITY FEATURES:
- 4-lane, 25 yard lap pool
- New bath house and concessions
- Slide tower
- Diving board
- Expanded 0-depth entry play pool with spray features
- More shade structures, shelters, and seating
- New filtration and water treatment facilities
GATES & BYRNES PARK MASTER PLAN
In July 2021, the Leisure Services’ Department sought out for feedback on the future of Waterloo Aquatics.
In January 31, 2022, they presented the City council the results of the feedback and their studies for the Gates Park area and Aquatics Master Plan.
An updated presentation was presented in May of 2022 to Leisure Services Staff. Click button below to view that PowerPoint presentation.